Sourced from Real Simple
- 6 medium beets, tops trimmed
- 1 tablespoon plus ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vinegar of your choice (apple cider or Champagne)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 sprig fresh dill
Place the beets and 1 tablespoon of the salt in a large pot and add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until a paring knife can be inserted smoothly into a beet, about 25 minutes, depending on size.
Drain and rinse under cold running water until beets are cool enough to handle.
Remove the skins. Place beets in bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or until cool.
Slice the beets in half lengthwise. Arrange the halves on a serving plate.
Drizzle with oil and vinegar, then sprinkle with the remaining salt and the pepper. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and dill.